This scholarship seeks to reward students who are local area military spouses, currently seeking degree or certificate at an accredited college, university, or technical school. If you meet all of the eligibility criteria, the MSoN submission deadline is April 1, 2022.
I. General Information
- Scholarships are awarded for excellence in academic performance, community service, extracurricular involvement, achievements, and leadership qualities, over the past 3 years. Additionally, written essays, and reference letters are also considered.
- This scholarship is administered by the Scholarships Committee of the MSoN.
- The judges committee is composed of a diverse group of MSoN members and base personnel.
- All applications remain anonymous to the judges. The MSoN Scholarship Chairperson(s) will remove all personally identifying information on the applications and assign each a number before submitting to the Scholarship Committee for scoring.
- Applicants will be notified of results via email after May 15th.
- Amount of award and number of recipients varies based on available funds and is determined by the Scholarships Committee and MSoN General Board.
- Questions should be directed to the Scholarships Chair by emailing email@example.com.
You must meet all of the following eligibility criteria to be considered for an award:
- Must be a high school graduate, have completed a High School Equivalency Program (HEP) or General Education Development test (GED)
- Must be a DEERS spouse possessing a current, valid military ID card of:
Must be enrolled in or have applied/been accepted to an accredited post-secondary institution or certification program in the United States.
- An active duty military personnel, any branch, officer or enlisted, attached to a base in Rhode Island at the time of application submission
Not be a past recipient of any Military Spouses of Newport scholarship.
Not be a dependent of, or related to, any member of the Scholarships Committee.
NOTE: An applicant who accepts an appointment to one of the service academies is ineligible to receive a scholarship.
Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, rank of sponsor, sex, age, or financial need.
For award consideration, your completed application package must fulfill all the following requirements:
- You must meet all of the scholarship eligibility criteria.
- You must submit a completed package. Including ALL of following:
Application, transcript, and letters of recommendation be received electronically no later than April 1st, 2022. Applications received after April 1st, 2022 will not be considered.
- A completed Military Spouses of Newport Spouse Scholarship Application 2022. This is a Google form that cannot be saved. It is recommended to write the essays in advance and copy and paste into the Google form when ready to submit the application.
- Most recent school transcripts. Transcripts should reflect all post-secondary education. Provide multiple transcripts if necessary. This can be unofficial, for example, a download from the school’s website.
- Two letters of recommendation, no longer than 1 page each, from persons outside of your family. Examples of acceptable sources for letters of recommendation include school faculty members, work supervisors, members of volunteer organizations, members of clergy, or members of the community who can attest to your character. These letters should be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 1st, 2022. Please have the author of the letter write the applicant's name in the subject of the email.
To be considered for an MSoN Scholarship award, all application packages must include the following components and comply with the stated instructions. Incomplete application packages will not be considered. Applicants must use a 2022 application. Earlier versions are null and void.
- The application form must be filled out through the online Google form. The link to the Google form can be found below.
- Email your most recent transcript(s). All post-secondary schooling should be reflected. This can be an unofficial copy or screenshot.
- Please list all of the information regarding extracurricular activities, club affiliations, memberships, awards, employment, etc., in the spaces provided only. Clearly number and list your activities, awards, etc. in the fields provided.
- Complete both the military influence statement and the essay section of the application, typed in the spaces provided. Spaces are limited to specific word count for each essay.
- Have 2 letters of recommendation emailed directly to the committee at email@example.com. Have the author put your name (the applicant) in the Subject line.
- Scholarship Applications and all additional documentation must be received no later than April 1, 2022.
V. Scholarship Awards
Judging is completely anonymous; all identifiable information will be removed from applications before judging begins. The number and amount of awards varies, is determined by the committee and board, and based on the amount of available funds.
After judging all applicants will be notified via email of their status. Scholarship recipients and their immediate families are invited to attend MSoN Scholarship Awards Reception in early June 2022. The winners and their immediate families will be formally invited to attend. This is dependent on the status of any pandemic related restrictions on gatherings.
The scholarship recipients’ monetary awards are for payment of tuition, books, mandated college or university room and board, and associated university fees only. Checks will be paid directly to the school or institution, and are intended for the upcoming academic year (2022-2023).
Upon winning an award each scholarship recipient must:
- Return the completed School Information Sheet by Email to the MSoN Scholarship Chair, No Later Than June 10, 2022. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submit a copy of your acceptance letter or proof of enrollment, via email for disbursement verification.
- Present a valid Military ID card to the Military Spouses of Newport, Scholarships Chair or Treasurer. This occurs at the reception or by other arrangements.
Scholarship monies are disbursed by June 30, 2022. The entire award must be utilized by March 31, 2023, or be returned to the Military Spouses of Newport Scholarship fund.
If you have any questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson by email at email@example.com.