This scholarship seeks to reward students who are local area military spouses, currently seeking degree or certificate at an accredited college, university, or technical school. If you meet all of the eligibility criteria, the MSoN submission deadline is March 8th, 2024.
I. General Information
- Scholarships are awarded for excellence in academic performance, community service, extracurricular involvement, achievements, and leadership qualities. Additionally, written essays, and a reference letter are also considered.
- This scholarship is administered by the MSoN Scholarships Committee.
- The judges committee is composed of a diverse group of MSoN members and base personnel.
- All applications remain anonymous to the judges. The MSoN Scholarship Chairperson(s) will remove all personally identifying information on the applications and assign each a number before submitting to the Scholarship Committee for scoring.
- Applicants will be notified of results via email after April 12th, 2024.
- Amount of award and number of recipients varies based on available funds and is determined by the Scholarships Committee and MSoN General Board.
- Questions should be directed to the Scholarships Chair by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must meet all of the following eligibility criteria to be considered for an award:
- Must be a high school graduate, have completed a High School Equivalency Program (HEP) or General Education Development test (GED)
Must be a DEERS spouse possessing a current, valid military ID card of:
- An active duty military personnel, any branch, officer or enlisted, attached to a base in Rhode Island at the time of application submission.
- Must be enrolled in or have applied/been accepted to an accredited post-secondary institution or certification program in the United States.
- Not be a past recipient of any Military Spouses of Newport scholarship.
- Not be a dependent of, or related to, any member of the Scholarships Committee.
NOTE: An applicant who accepts an appointment to one of the service academies is ineligible to receive a scholarship.
Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, rank of sponsor, sex, age, or financial need.
For award consideration, your completed application package must fulfill all the following requirements:
- You must meet all of the scholarship eligibility criteria.
You must submit a completed package. Including ALL of following:
- PART 1: A completed Military Spouses of Newport Spouse Scholarship Application. This is a Google form that cannot be saved. It is recommended to write the essays in advance and copy and paste into the Google form when ready to submit the application.
- 250 Word or less Essay: "Discuss how being a military spouse has led you to adapt to new situations, locations and or cultures."
- 500 Word or less Essay: "What do you think is the biggest misconception about being part of a military family and what do you want the world to know about what it means to be a military spouse?"
- PART 2: Send one email with both the most recent School Transcript, Enrollment or Acceptance Letter & Copy of your Sponsor's Orders. Transcripts should reflect all post-secondary education. Provide multiple transcripts if necessary. This can be unofficial, for example, a download from the school’s website. **Both documents need to have personal information redacted or blacked out - only applicant's name in the subject line in the email.
- Part 3: One Letter of Recommendation, no longer than 1 page, from persons outside of your family. Examples of acceptable sources for letter of recommendation include school faculty members, work supervisors, members of volunteer organizations, members of clergy, or members of the community who can attest to your character. These letters should be emailed directly to email@example.com no later than March 8, 2024. Please have the author of the letter write the applicant's name (the applicant) in the subject of the email.
- Application, transcript, and letters of recommendation be received electronically no later than March 8, 2024. Applications received after March 8, 2024 will not be considered.
To be considered for an MSoN Scholarship award, all application packages must include the following components and comply with the stated instructions. Incomplete application packages will not be considered. Applicants must use a 2024 application. Earlier versions are null and void.
- The application form must be filled out through the online Google form. The link to the Google form can be found below.
- In one email, attach both your most recent transcript(s), enrollment or acceptance letter & copy of your sponsor's military orders to firstname.lastname@example.org. All post-secondary schooling should be reflected. This can be an unofficial copy or screenshot. Both documents need to have personal information redacted or blacked out only applicant's name in the subject line in the email.
- Please list all of the information regarding extracurricular activities, club affiliations, memberships, awards, employment, etc., in the spaces provided only. Clearly number and list your activities, awards, etc. in the fields provided.
- Complete both the military influence statement and the essay section of the application, typed in the spaces provided. Spaces are limited to specific word count for each essay: 250 and 500 word max.
- Have a letter of recommendation emailed directly to the committee at email@example.com. Have the author put your name (the applicant) in the subject line.
- Scholarship Applications and all additional documentation must be received no later than March 8, 2024.
V. Scholarship Awards
Judging is completely anonymous; all identifiable information will be removed from applications before judging begins. The number and amount of awards varies and is determined by the committee and board, and based on the amount of available funds. *Some applicants will receive a combined scholarship from First Command Educational Foundation & Military Spouses of Newport. First Command Scholarship recipients will need to fill out additional forms and take a brief online Money Management Course in order to receive scholarship funds.
After judging all applicants will be notified via email of their status on or before April 15, 2024. Scholarship recipients and their immediate families are invited to attend MSoN Scholarship Awards Reception in mid May 2024. The winners and their immediate families will be formally invited to attend. This is dependent on the status of any pandemic related restrictions on gatherings.
The scholarship recipients’ monetary awards are for payment of tuition, books, mandated college or university room and board, and associated university fees only. Checks will be paid directly to the scholarship recipient and are intended for the upcoming academic year (2024-2025). *First Command Scholarship winners will have their checks sent directly to their secondary school.
Upon winning an award each scholarship recipient must:
- Reply to the MSoN Scholarship Chair "Notification of Award" email, no later than April 22, 2024. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Present both a valid Military ID card & proof of enrollment or acceptance letter to the Military Spouses of Newport, Scholarships Chair or Treasurer. This occurs at the reception or by other arrangements before receiving the scholarship check.
Scholarship monies are disbursed by June 30, 2024. The entire award must be utilized by March 31, 2025, or be returned to the Military Spouses of Newport Scholarship fund.
If you have any questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson by email at email@example.com.